Wednesday, March 24

Easy To Assemble

I am concerned about the structural safety of our last remaining crib. I am not sure if the manufacturer had intended to have 120 pounds (or three children) jumping up and down on the crib at all, much less at the same time. Regardless, that is what is happening to our crib. In addition, it turns out that Sarah can climb in and out of the crib by herself, sometimes more successfully than others. It's time for a big girl bed.

Here's what I had in mind:


However, we settled for the far more practical, yet still wonderful, Tinkerbell Toddler Bed. Here is one that is very similar to the one Granny purchased for wee Sarah:

The best bit about the toddler bed was it had "Easy To Assemble" written in bold across the box. Perfect.

On Sunday morning, Dan decided that he would put the bed together. He took all the pieces out of the box, carefully making sure that we had every bit. He read the instructions, and then started the task of building the bed.

The children and I were mucking about, periodically sticking our heads in the room in hopes of seeing the finished product. Every time, we were shocked to see the same pile of poles and very little progress made. Periodically, we would hear Dan mumble from the room, "Easy to assemble? If you're Hercules maybe!" or "Do they think I'm Superman?". This made us wonder exactly what Toys 'R' Us expected from my husband!

After an hour and a half, all five of us were crammed into Sarah's tiny room demanding that Dan hurry up and put this bed together. He was now royally ticked off. Apparently, his idea of bending the steel bars so that they would fit together hadn't gone well. To add to his frustration, the kids were in the way, and he found my helpful commentary (peppered with light-hearted laughter) rather irritating.

He demanded my help. I was to hold a bar in place while he used all his force to pull an attached bar in the opposite direction. Yeah, it didn't make sense to me either. I did what I was told until the bar snapped like a rubber band across my neck. At that point, we built the bed my way. Twenty minutes later, the bed was built. We were thrilled and requested that our littlest one hope into bed and act delighted. She didn't. She still hasn't. She's boycotting the bed.


Sarah (eating a plastic chicken) in her new bed. Katie wanted to be in the picture too!


Sarah with her blankie, a frog, and Uppsy Daisy in her bed.

No comments: