Monday, June 27

Not Just a Hat

I asked Dan to take the children to the store and buy them each a new hat. I said that the hats had to be wide-brimmed. They must not be baseball caps. I wanted something pretty. I wanted something with a ribbon. I wanted a hat that would be appropriate in an Enid Blyton novel. The effect I'm going for is a little girl from 1920s England on holiday at the seaside. Something that would make old ladies stop me on the street and tell my how sweet my children are. Something classic.

Something like this:





But not quite so big:


So Dan loaded the children into the car and went out to buy hats.

This is what he bought:


Yippee ki-yay.

Wait. It gets worse.



Sarah got a conductor's hat. ALL ABOARD!

And this is why I was forced to revoke all of Dan's purchasing privileges.

5 comments:

TheFitHousewife said...

Bahahaha...YEE-HAW! They would fit right in in Calgary ;)

Yabut said...

Hmmmm....maybe Dan wanted Boys!
I grew up on Enid Blyton books. The Wishing Chair series and the Faraway Tree (Enchanted Forest) series. I don't remember anything about pretty hats in any of those. There was just lots of fun, and it looks like your girls are enjoying Daddy's choices anyway. (but I'm with you and would have wanted prettier ones).

Anonymous said...

I don't know about your hubby, but mine would probably do something like this on purpose so that he wouldn't be asked to do it again. Like Bill Cosby making the chocolate cake for breakfast, but then he gets to go back to bed when his wife finds out.

Bibliomama said...

I love your description of the hats you wanted so much. Those hats may have been hard to find, though - I haven't found any, and I've looked. I grew up on Enid Blyton books too - *dreamy sigh*.

Your very tasteful Mother said...

The perfect hat was MINE! Notice the roses in the background - how Enid Blyton is that! Where does that man get his fashion sense?!!!