Thursday, August 11

Ready For Granny's

A couple of weeks ago, Dan and I had to do a mad dash to his hometown for family reasons. We would be gone for one night.

The children were horrified. The wondered (quite loudly) how we could possibly abandon them for an entire night!

I tried to reassured my little darlings. I wasn't "abandoning" them. I was going to be gone for one sleep. It was kinda like Granny Daycare two days in a row, but they would sleep at Granny's too.

Note to all readers: My mother is an entirely different person than the one who raised me. Thirty years ago, she would chase my brothers and I around with a fly swatter. She had a perma-scowl fixed on her face. She could drive a car with one hand, and whack each of us in the backseat with the other. She spoke in capital letters, as in "STOP FIGHTING", "I DON'T CARE WHO STARTED IT", and "BE QUIET!!!!!!". With the birth of my children, my mother has morphed into the kindest, sweetest, most loving caretaker in the world. The children can (almost) do no wrong. When she chases them, it's to give them a cuddle, not a beating. And I am amazed. Lucky girls, they get the new and improved version of Mum! (My mother is reading this and she is not amused).

Anyway, to cheer the children up, we told them that they could pack their own overnight bags. So, they packed everything they owned. Seriously.

When we got to Mum's, she panicked a little, and inquired as to just how long  did Dan and I intended to leave the children in her care!


And that would have been the end of that, except after I took this photo of the children and their overnight essentials, I asked Dan to carry everything inside Mum's house.


The man cracks me up!

10 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh man, I love it! Love how they needed a suitcase and a toy bin each!

Gwen said...

Can't forget the toys!!!!!!! :)

Your long suffering mother said...

I am utterly speechless! I was a loving, caring, some say pretty, young lady. Sadly I gave birth to 3 terrors that broke me down, forced me to speak in CAPITALS to be heard, and tormented me till my "face stuck like that" as my own Mother would say. I have not morphed, I have just had a very brief respite so that my true nature can once again surface ... please be advised and judge yourself accordingly!
In other words DON’T PUSH IT…

Bibliomama said...

So true. If I ever threw something at my mother I wouldn't have lived to tell the tale. Angus, on the other hand, threw a cup at her once, and when we got mad at him she said "but he didn't hit me!" She gives them ice cream before supper. It's a travesty.

Yabut said...

A note from a grandmother: We can spoil your children if we want. We're not raising them. As Mothers, we have to teach children to be obedient and respectful. (some today don't bother, unfortunately). Grandmothers just need to pass out hugs and cookies. I can drop everything and sit on the floor and play with my grandchildren, but when I was raising my own kids, I had too much work to do to be able to do that. I'm sure my sons think I've morphed too. Thanks for the insight.

Gwen said...

Bibliomama: My mother permitted my three children to DANCE on her piano keys. That would NEVER have happened when I was a kid!

Yabut: I see your point.

Mum: OH MY GOD, YOU MORPHED BACK!!!!!!

Lara said...

I kind of get why it would be way easier to be nice a lot as a grandparent though, don't you?

Was this the first time they slept away for the night? I start getting rid of them as often as possible at 1 ;)

Gwen said...

Lara: I would have allowed the children to have seelp overs, but no one would take them! (Just kidding, as you may recall, I'm a bit of a control freak - I like to have my children with me AT ALL TIMES)

Dad/Zaida said...

We would take the darlings overnight at the drop of a hat. Let me know when.

Dad/Zaida said...

We will take the darlings anytime overnight as we have done many times with Sean's wonderful sons. No problem. They will have a great time as will we. Time to let them spread their wings a bit. Just let me know when.