Friday, January 22

Sisters

Sarah speaks quite a bit of French. This is funny because Dan and I don't speak French at all. This makes communication with her more challenging. For instance, the other day she said to me "Pum peas". I had no idea what she was saying. She grew more and more frustrated until she gave up on asking for my permission, pushed the chair over to the counter, climbed the chair, and helped herself to an apple from the fruit bowl. It was then that I realised that she was saying "Pomme, please".

The children have also come to understand that we have a wee francophone in our midst. Bethie said to me, "How come we have a French baby?". I didn't feel like explaining that she spends a fair amount of time in French daycare, and has picked up the language there. Instead, I said, "I don't know". She said, "Can we switch her for an English baby?". Ummm, no.

Later that day, Bethie said to me, "You bought a really good baby!". I replied, "I didn't buy Sarah.". Bethie let out a huge dramatic sigh, and said "Okay, okay. You grew a really good baby". I snatched her up and said, "I grew three really good babies!".

No comments: