Wednesday, April 28

Doctor's Orders

The girls and I went to a paediatrician this morning. We were referred to him because Bethie suddenly becomes extremely tired. She stops everything she's doing and lies down right where she is. Needless to say, I am concerned. Before I go on, let me reassure you that the results of her blood work show that she's fine.

Anyway, the paediatrician wants me to drastically modify her diet to see what effect some nutrition will have on Bethie. This was when both Bethie and I got nervous. The paediatrician announced some foods that Bethie could not have. These include honey, soft drinks, and rice. No problem, thought my baby girl. She's never had honey (I don't like it), and we don't typically hand out cola to our wee girls. Rice is, apparently, one of the many items that she boycotts because it's "disgusting".  He then added sugar, candies, fruit juices, cheese, bananas, and white flour to the list of banned items. We both looked at him in shock! What's left to eat?! Surely, the child will wither away!

I then asked the paediatrician about acceptable foods. He proclaimed that the child shall eat cooked whole grains, nuts, salad, green vegetables, fruit with the skin on, bran, lots of water, and (as a consolation) popcorn. Bethie doesn't like popcorn, which she pointed out to the doctor. She told the doctor that she will gladly eat nuts, broccoli, green beans, grapes, pears, and peaches. That's it!

Still floored, we meekly walked out of the paediatrician's office. Then we got into my little red car and went to Tim Horton's for doughnuts. The girls like the kind with all the sprinkles on top. I permitted this. I felt it was like an alcoholic having one last drink before he went to rehab. All three girls had a shot of sugar to soften this devastating blow!

No comments: