Thursday, January 15

Dinner Time Rituals

Some people sit down to dinner and say Grace. Some people immediately say "Pass the salt". We have a special ritual. We all sit down to dinner, Sarah included, and the conversation is as follows:
Bethie: I DON'T LIKE THIS! (and fires her plate across the table)
Us: Just try it.
Bethie: BUT I DIDN'T SAY PORK!
Us: It's not pork.
Bethie: What is it?
Us: Chicken
Bethie: I DIDN'T SAY CHICKEN, I SAID HOT DOGS!
This is when Katie gets interested. She watches for any sign of weakness in me or Dan. Weakness is a sigh, or a glance between me and Dan, or some subtlety that only she's aware of. Once weakness is shown, Katie jumps on the bandwagon. It's all over at that point. Last night, we served a lovely turkey and the girls ate hot dogs. Tonight I am trying a new recipe from the Today's Parent magazine. Cross you fingers!

3 comments:

alison said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I laughed when I read this posting, seeing as my girls have "issues" with food, like if it isn't KD, hot dogs, pizza or chicken fingers, it's gross. They'll eat some veggies and pretty well all fruits, but I long for the day when I can just make ONE dinner that we can all eat. Really, is it too much to ask for them to eat pot roast and mashed potatoes? I don't think so, but apparently I'm in the minority at our place.

Anonymous said...

You've just described every dinner at our house! I love how Katie waits to see your reaction...smart cookie...that's Grayson at our house and Trystan is more like Bethie...Guess that's why Katie and Trystan get along so well...opposites attract and all.

Anonymous said...

Well...what goes around comes around Wendy! I spent years and years wondering what we could have for dinner besides KD and hotdogs. So now your day has come! I feel fulfilled